There are several life lessons i have had a chance to bestow upon my 5-month-old grandson. Yes, he is only five months. But still. Now, i have taken the Norwegian name for grandpa, bestefar. my words of wisdom to him are known as “best by far moments with bestefar.” So far he has been told about:
- Only always Jesus!
- Throwing fits are not an appropriate responses to being upset.
- Some people are gonna make you mad, you love them anyway.
- Work hard at everything you do, even when you think no one is watching, someone is always watching.
- Enjoy every moment you can, cry, laugh, listen, be present!
- Don’t ever think that you know everything, someone always knows more, and whether they do or don’t; simply, know your stuff so that you can discern truth from lies, in so doing, you remain teachable.
The starting points for these lessons come from Psalm 1 . . .
“Blessed is the man who shall not walk in the counsel of the wicked, and shall not stand in the path of sinners, and shall not sit in the seat of scoffers, but his delight is in the Law of YWHW, and he meditates in His Law day and night. For he shall be as a tree planted by the rivers of water, and whatever he does prospers. The wicked are not so, but are like the chaff which the wind blows away. Therefore the wicked shall not rise in the judgment, nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous. For YWHW knows the way of the righteous, but the way of the wicked comes to naught.”
These lessons are good for all of us and i am still learning to walk in them each day.
You are loved,